Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Power of the Father

We all know the 13th Article of faith. "If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things." In a world with ever decreasing values, it's exciting to find something that fits the above, so when I so find something like that, I want to share it.

Jeff's been out of town resulting in lots of hours by myself. THe other day I decided to hit redbox to see if there was anything worth renting.

Movie #1: The Game Plan. I heard this movie was similar to "The Pacifier" with Vin Diesel. I didn't really care for that movie and I don't think VD can act. I also had only seen Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson in the Mummy movies where his physique was important but not a lot of acting involved there either. I wasn't too concerned about seeing this movie, but thought the kids might like it. I ended up watching it by myself and loved it. The Rock is much more talented than i gave him credit for and it was just a good story overall with good messages. I especially enjoyed the discussion between Joe (the Rock) and his daughter's ballet teacher. She tells him that fathers have a lot of influence over their daughters and they talk about it. It was nice to see such an important message in a mainstream movie. There's football and ballet, so it's a great fit for my kids. There is one awesome sequence where they show Peyton's ballet recital. It is amazing. BTW-the little girl, Peyton, is too cute.

Movie #2: Stardust. Ok-this definitely would fall into the "fantasy" genre, but if I had to compare it to another movie it would be along the lines of Princess Bride. I loved it. Adventure, romance (very clean), humor. It was all there. The main character-Tristan Thorn was played by a little known actor named Charlie Cox. He did an excellent job, especially since he was up against (or with) actors like Michelle Pfiefer, Clair Danes, Robert de Niro, Rupert Everette, etc. I don't think I'd let my kids watch it because it can get a little scary (at least for mine), but in a few more years, I really think they'll love it.

No comments: