Friday, July 16, 2010

With Service Comes Trials

Jeff's parents are serving in the Denver South mission. I believe their official start date was July1.  It didn't take long for the faith-testing trials to come in.  Just after they were officially in the mission and working, 2 of my adorable little nieces both landed in the hospital.  It's been a rough week or so.  One niece has been at the Seattle Children's hospital.  She's home for now and things are looking good, but it will be a long road for her and her family.  It makes me sad that I can't visit her. 

So when my other niece Gabby landed in the hospital (Primary Children's) Sunday night, we made sure to go visit a couple of times.  Gabby was pretty sedated the first time, but McKay managed to make her smile.  We didn't stay too long, but promised to come back later in the week.  Yesterday was our 2nd visit.  Gabby seemed to be doing much better.

(From this picture, you'd think I was the paparazzi!)

We got to go to the playroom with her for a little while.  It was so fun!  I loved watching the volunteers and staff get really involved with all the patients-playing games, with toys, making crafts, etc.  But then, I noticed they started inviting my kids to participate too.  It was just a little above and beyond what they needed to do.  And I really appreciated it.  One staff member got McKay and Lyndsi involved in making their own little Hospital Buddies.

Sophie had no interest in that and headed for the little dollhouse.  She's very content to play on her own, and I didn't think about it.  Soon I looked over and saw this.  It melted my heart. 

While they were busy, I was busy with this

my newest niece, Afton.  And visiting with her mom and dad.

For all the heaviness that's been hanging around our hearts lately, this was a fun and uplifting experience. 

I've joked a little with Jeff that if these are the kinds of things that happen when his parents leave on a mission, they are not allowed to go again. :)  But, then I thought to myself, what if these things were to happen anyway?  I'm so glad that they are where they are, serving faithfully.  Elder Hales promised our families tremendous blessings for Alan and Laurie's service. Despite the awful trials happening, blessings are already being manifested.  And life is good.

1 comment:

Sherilyn said...

I can promise you that the blessing will outway the trials. Your sweet little neices and all of you are in my thoughts and prayers.