Monday, June 9, 2008

Groceries

I am so impressed that so many of you stay below $100 a week!! Needless to say, I"m sure we all know that it's a difficult task. I myself spend more than I want to on groceries, but am always looking for ways to cut back-coupons, ad matching, etc. I'm hoping my yearly attempt at gardening will be much more fruitful (literally) this year than in years past and I hope all the local farmers have the same luck.

I was skimming through an issue of the Wall Street Journal a week or two ago and came across an article that stated something to the effect of gardening is the new trend. People are getting stung by rising costs of groceries and are turning to their own backyards for help. I laughed when I read this recalling Pres. Hinckley's counsel (and several other prophets I'm sure) to plant a garden and to be self-sufficient.

Last year my mom and I bottled apples-something neither of us had done before but was one of the best things I've done. We have used them constantly. They stayed tart and semi-crisp (more firm that I thought anyway). They've been great for a snack was money is tight or to blend up into less expensive and more nutritious (hopefully) applesauce. Trust me these little guys have gotten us through. I most definitely will do this again in the fall.

Farmers markets are great too. And so is the cannery, although I'm not sure if they are always cheaper. Of course, we can't forget Harmon's, Smith's, and Macey's huge semi-annual caselot sales to help us stock up. (Seriously-I got pork and beans for 29 cents a can. It was very exciting. :) )

What are all of you doing to save $$ on groceries?

8 comments:

Jamie said...

I wouldn't take my advice because I spend about $150 a week on groceries but making a menu has cut down on my trips to the store.

Cami said...

Well, you know mine...let the husband do it.

MissGlimpseBlogSpot said...

I wish Scott would let me shop- but it is a no no. I guess it is one less stress for me:) Hey- I just added you to my new Blog list so I can always know when you have a new post:) I LOVE it!

Emily Youngdell said...

I buy certain things at certain stores. I buy meat and produce at Ream's because it is the cheapest and has a great selection. I buy pretty much everything else at Walmart or Macey's. I like Macey's a lot but it's kind of out of the way so Walmart is my main place.

Chad and Kristen said...

Angie, I hope this isn't too short of notice but if you watch Good Things Utah today on channel 4 at 10am they are giving 6 tips to save on grocery's.

Tams Family said...

Don't you love the grocery crunch? We had to bump up the budget a little to compensate for rising prices. We've been pretty good at watching for coupons and I have learned to plan my meals around what's on sale (which can be hard because sometimes I want to make something else). It has helped a lot and makes me a little more creative with our food. Good luck!

Ranae and Matt said...

I use coupons and a company that is called grocery smarts. I know a lady who tells you how to do it and you can spend $50 a week. I spend a little more so I can build a supply. If interested I would have you come up and she does thing on it or I can let you know how.

Chad and Kristen said...

on Good Things Utah they gave the website address of:
www.uthealth.com and enter in keyword groceries

for the tips they gave...nothing amazing that most don't already know.