Wednesday, August 1, 2007

"It's the start of something new"


Lyndsi started Kindergarten today! She and I have both been anticipating this day with mixed feelings of nervousness, excitement, happiness, fear, etc. We did all the beforehand work of back-to-school shopping, meeting the teacher and even back to school night. Today we walked her to school and waited outside with all the other new kindergartners for the teacher, Mrs. McDougal (whom Lyndsi calls Mrs. McDoodles). A lot of people had asked me before hand if I thought I would cry. I didn't, but there was an indescribable fear and anxiety as I watched her walk into her future, a place where I couldn't follow her and protect her whenever she needed me. Honestly, I was not prepared for that. My little baby girl was walking into a building with a woman I had talked to for maybe 10 minutes of my life who will start the process of helping her learn to be independent of me. Ugh. Luckily, those 10 minutes gave me confidence in the teacher and praises of friends who've had their kids in her class added to the confidence. As McKay and I went about our morning jobs, I felt somewhat lost. I'm sure that feeling will subside over the next few weeks. I was glad when she came home and told me she missed me, but she can't wait to go back.

On a lighter note, she went back to school in style. Her favorite movie (obviously) is High School Musical, and her first day apparel reflected that: t-shirt, shoes and school accessories (pencils, folder, erasers, etc.). She was looking good!

1 comment:

marlene said...

Just wait until she starts first grade :) I thought the full day thing was going to kill me. It actually was hard at first until I realized how ready Kelsie was. That made the whole transition much easier. It is weird though to get used to not having their chattering and assistance throughout the day. Good luck, she looks darling!