Monday, August 6, 2007

Gardening and Zucchini







Ever since we bought our first home in St. George (about 6 years ago), I've tried my hand at gardening every year. It was feeble at best. I've gotten a few peas, enough to snack on while I weeded the garden. I almost got some onions, until a kind family member mistook them for weeds and "weeded" them out for me. I had some watermelon 2 years in a row, the 2nd year I didn't even plant it! My tomatoes have been faithful every year, though. That is, until this year. I have gorgeous vines on 2 of the 6-8 plants and only 3 itty-bitty tomatoes. Sigh. Oh well, on the bright side, most everything else is starting to produce: corn, beans, pumpkins, and the zucchini is starting to come out my ears. (There are 2 or 3 beautiful ones ready to pick already and more on the way.) I know zucchini is a big joke around here. Everyone always has it in abundance. Let me tell ya, though. For the novice gardener, it is a big confidence builder! I can't wait to bake some zucchini bread now.

I love walking out to water or weed my garden and seeing all the lush green plants. It is an awesome feeling to know I had a part in that "creation." It's been fun to watch the kids, too. McKay and Lyndsi both love to help me water and are my constant companions when I go out to check how the veggies are growing. They especially are enjoying watching the pumpkin getting grow.

No comments: