Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Running A Marthon


Ok-it's not really a marathon. It's a 5K. When I mention that I'll be running one, I almost always call it a marathon, though. I have decided that it is because I am not a runner and both sound insanely impossible to my non-athletic self. However, last year Jeff set a goal to run a 5k and I joined in on the goal thinking it would be something fun to do together. As luck would have it, our stake instituted an annual 5k run that very year. I worked somewhat hard and Jeff not at all. The day of the race came around and we ended up having to do the race with 3 kids (one sill a baby). Strollers in hand, we proceeded with the run and came in with a time of somewhere around 46 minutes. Not too bad for a family of 5 (and 3 were sitting the whole way). This year will be different.




My friend, Jen, and I have started running. During our first run last week she announced that our goal was to run the stake's 5k in 30 minutes or less. Gulp. I didn't think it'd be possible, but surprisingly, I'm doing much better than I'd hoped for. Our first run was 2 miles in about 31 min. and today we did 2.5 miles in the same amount of time. I ran more today than before and was able to push myself harder than before. For the first time ever, I felt a huge (to me) burst of speed when I thought I couldn't go on anymore. It was a pleasant surprise, especially the last burst. I didn't know my body was capable of that sort of speed. :)




6 comments:

Chad and Kristen said...

You guys are amazing!!! 46 minutes and 3 kids!! I would have been walking after the first 15 feet...I would love to run a 5k...maybe I will set a goal for myself for next year too!

Jamie said...

Good luck! Merril's running an actual marathon this year but that's something I've never wanted to do! Sounds great!

Cami said...

I think that's awesome. You both sure looked like you'd just run for 30 odd minutes. ;) hee hee

Angie said...

And you saw us after we'd cooled down quite a bit! I hate to think what Mike saw when we walked back in the house. Eek.

Sunshine and Lazy days said...

That last burst of speed is great, isn't it? I think it's called the runner's high. You kill the first mile or so, and then suddenly, you're body is like, oh hey I can do this! And guess what? You can do it! Good Luck on your 5k!

Emily Youngdell said...

Run Angie, ruuuuunnnnn!! (Sorry, Forrest Gump flashback..)
Anyways, that is awesome! Way back in the day I loved to go running.