Monday, June 6, 2011

Visiting Grandpa

My grandpa is not doing well.  My mom suggested that we might want to go visit, just in case.  Jeff and I decided to take the kids over last night and I'm so glad we did. 

Grandpa is at the point where the main goal is to just keep him comfortable.  He's on oxygen and seemed to wheeze quite a bit.  My parents visited with him on Friday and Mom said he barely said two words the whole time.  When we got there he was watching the end of Bonanza with my grandma. We handed the baby over to Grandma (she's a baby-lover for sure!).  As soon as Grandpa saw Chloe, he perked right up, playing with the baby, cooing at her, singing to her.  He held her without dropping her, even though she was a little heavy for his frail muscles.  Chloe was so good for him, too.  She was bright eyed and showed no anxiety being held by a strange old man with tubes strapped to his face. I'm really glad we took the time to go visit.



5 comments:

jana said...

My Grandpa had a stroke just before I was born. He could only say one word and was in a wheel chair for the five years I knew him. He and I became such close friends in that short time. It means so much to me to know that I meant so much to my grandpa. Keep this memory alive for Chloe, and show her the pictures. It will mean a lot to her, too. It's neat that you got to spend time with him.

Sherilyn said...

Angie I is so sad to see your grandpa looking so frail. He is a wonderful man and you will be glad you spend those precious few minutes with him. You have been blessed to have such great grand parents on both sides of your family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I pray that he will not have to suffer to much longer. Your grandma looks pretty good hope this is not to hard on her haveing to care for him. As for him brightening up when he saw Chloe who wouldn't she is a cutie

Bits and Pieces of Me...Emily! said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa! I hope that you are alright at this time! If you need anything, just let me know!

Emily Youngdell said...

I'm so sorry about your Grandpa, Angie. That's great that you were able to take your kids over and visit with him for a bit and take some pictures.

Cami said...

I am so glad you got these pictures.
Sweet moments and memories to be sure.